Two labourers die while repairing the drainage chamber at SVNIT


Surat: Two out of three sanitation workers died of asphyxiation while taking out repairs of the drainage manhole allegedly without safety precautions at the Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT) campus on Tuesday.

Sources in the Surat Municipal Corporation’s (SMC) fire and the emergency department said the repair work of the damaged drainage manhole was going on beside the Sarabhai Bhavan inside the SVNIT campus on Tuesday. One worker entered into drainage chamber and got asphyxiated due to the hazardous gases.

To rescue the worker, another two workers got inside the chamber and they too got asphyxiated.

The site engineer Savik Avdhesh Mitra contacted the fire and emergency department for the rescue of the workers. A team of firefighters reached the spot and pulled out all three victims from the drainage chamber.

Kadir Ishaqmia Siddiqui, 45, a resident of Azadnagar in Bhatar and Satyamkumar Harendraprasad Shah, 14, a resident of Talav Mohalla in Bhatar died on the spot, while Shravan Hemantrai Batpa, 45, a resident of Piyush Point in Pandesara was shifted to the New Civil Hospital (NCH) in critical condition.

Sources said that the labourers entered the drainage chamber without any precautions and died on the spot due to asphyxiation.